(Autocorrect tried to turn that title into Reinsert???)
So TMBG's newsletter linked this New Yorker review (which is extremely wrong about The Else, their second-best record of all time), and it had something in the sidebar about Anne Hathaway, and that reminded me that I still needed to look up this game Isaac and Robert were telling me about. And, uh.
Not safe for anywhere.
Porpentine appears to be the real deal, and I've had good luck with her shorter stuff -- "All I want is for all of my friends to become insanely powerful" is basically perfect. Cry$tal Warrior Ke$ha isssss uuuhhhhhhhh. I'm gonna dive into her longer and freakier stuff later, starting with Howling Dogs. Following her trail led me to some other peoples' stuff too:
- "Develop a Leather-based Bloodstream" okay sure thing will do
- Mastaba Snoopy is pretty incredible.
- Seven Hours Pass (arrrggghhhh)
- Sabbat is one detailed fuckin demon kit.
- And actually, I played my first Twine last month, when Christine Love posted Even Cowgirls Bleed, which is an excellent evolution of the form.
- Rat Chaos
(A technical note: watch out for mojibake. It you see any textual garbage, change your browser's charset to UTF-8.)
I also ran into THIS little tangent (part one, part two), which, I can't tell if they're talking about an actual game they played or having us on or writing some collaborative story or what? Google appears to know NOTHING about this game aside from these two posts, and it may or may not be real.
Anyway I'm definitely going to make a Twine game.